The Boxing Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1:50pm Friday 25th July 2008: Boxing made us into men

Go down

1:50pm Friday 25th July 2008:  Boxing made us into men Empty 1:50pm Friday 25th July 2008: Boxing made us into men

Post  Paddy Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:18 pm

Boxing made us into men
1:50pm Friday 25th July 2008

FOUR budding Ricky Hattons have been given awards after taking part in a boxing course aimed at improving SAT scores.

The Year 9 boys were all given the plaques yesterday during a school assembly and award ceremony at Dorcan School to mark the end of the school year.

The lads then had a pleasent surprise when their two boxing instructors – Paddy Fitzpatrick and Paul Rogers, from the Maxwell Street Boxing Academy – handed them pocket watches along with their awards.

On the back of the watches was an individual engraving dedicated to each ‘young man’.

Because, as Paddy said, when the youngsters started the course they were boys.

The programme, which is the first of its kind in the UK, combines boxing and schooling, by placing tutors in the gym, to help kids with their problem subjects during training.

Now the organisers hope it will be introduced nationwide after seeing what a success it was at Dorcan and receiving backing from David Haye, a cruiser-weight champion.

Paddy said the programme, started out with 18 girls and boys but was cut down to four after several teenagers were removed for poor time-keeping.

He said: “Each of the boys who graduated the 10-week course got a minimum of one-point better on their SATs. A lot of kids these days need a kick in the rear-end, and we helped give them that. The feedback we have got from the boys and the parents has been amazing.”

Callum Forbes, 14, a Year 9 pupil at Dorcan School, said: “I feel really good they actually had time for us. It was hard but it didn’t feel like work because we had a lot of encouragement.”

Fellow Year 9 pupil Jack Croce said: “Usually when I can’t do something I give up.

“But I didn’t this time, which makes it even more special because I actually succeeded. It has helped me with my grades and behaviour and controlling my anger – now I just breathe.”

The two other award winning boys were David Owen and Darren Mobey. Anyone interested in finding out more should call 01793 512936 or visit www.boxingacademy.co.uk.
Paddy
Paddy
Admin
Admin

https://theboxingacademy.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down