The Boxing Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next big thing!?

+8
fighter
jamaican_gurl
tigerupercut
swindonboy
peterpiper
Burridge_Cwood
boxguy
Darren
12 posters

Go down

Next big thing!? Empty Next big thing!?

Post  Darren Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:30 am

Article from swindon advertiser 26th march 2009

SWINDON could have the ‘next big thing’ on their hands according to some of the town’s top boxing names.

Fourteen-year-old Callum Costello is already being dubbed ‘the next Jamie Cox’ even before having his first amateur fight.

Cox’s own trainer and Boxing Academy owner Paddy Fitzpatrick has taken on Costello, who only took up the sport 17 months ago, and the youngster makes his amateur debut tonight in Birmingham.

Fitzpatrick believes tonight’s fight is the first step of a successful career.

“The kid is amazing, he puts a spark in my belly,” admitted Fitzpatrick. “A coach wouldn’t normally talk about a young boxer in this manner but he’s one of those kids that a coach waits and waits to walk through the door. I’ll take a chance looking like a fool by saying a 14-year-old is going to be the next big thing to come out of Swindon because he is that good. He loves boxing as much as I do and he’s in this gym six days a week.”

Costello, who lives in Dean Street, may not have had his first amateur fight but, according to Fitzpatrick, he has already proved his worth in his Maxwell Street gym.

“Mentally his boxing brain is far, far developed especially for a 14-year-old - he already boxes as a professional,” added Fitzpatrick. “He’s been sparring with adults and national champions and holding his own. It’s as if he is a young pro who has already had a full amateur career. You could end up with egg on your face but I’ll take a chance with this kid - he’s that good.”

Most of Costello’s training has come under the guidance of coach Darren Woodwards and he echoes Fitzpatrick’s view.

“He is a very, very good prospect,” said Woodwards. “He is dedicated and committed and could be the next big thing to come out of Swindon. Ability-wise I can’t see why he won’t be an ABA champion in the future. He could be a world class fighter if he stays dedicated.”

Costello has also forged a strong relationship with Swindon’s current big boxing name Jamie Cox, and the Commonwealth Gold medallist admits his new training partner is far more advanced than he was at the same age.

“He is definitely capable of achieving whatever he wants in the sport,” claimed Cox. “In five years time people will be raving about this kid. He is a lot more advanced mentally than I was at that age. His boxing brain is way above his years.”

Costello took his first steps into the Boxing Academy purely to get fit to play football but, as he explained, he’s never looked back: “I came here once a week to get fit, then it became twice a week and now every day.

“I’m just in love with the sport. I take all the comments about me with a pinch of salt because at the moment I haven’t done anything.

“My dream would be to make the Olympics in 2012. I’m going to the amateurs to get experience and then I want to turn pro. If I can win ABA titles and go to the Olympics that would be a dream come true. I can’t wait for my first fight, I’ve sparred loads but I love the pressure and being stepped up again and again.”

Costello fights Lancashire’s Ben Dean tonight and Fitzpatrick & Co plan to enter the him into the Junior Novices ABA Championships in October.
Darren
Darren
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Next big thing!? Empty Re: Next big thing!?

Post  boxguy Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:36 pm

He ent that special!!
hes only had one fight

boxguy

Back to top Go down

Post  Darren Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:42 am

Boxguy your right he has only had one fight.
But he won that against the number 3 ranked in england and got awarded boxer of the night and his next fight is may 3rd against the number 2 ranked in england so he has to step up again to show that he has got what it takes.
How many amatures do you know that start out that high???
Most amatures start off matched against opponents of similar records or poor records.
He may lose at some point but he can still fight his arse off and if and when he does lose he will adjust and make sure he does not make the same mistakes agian.Because he is dedicated to the sport and has the ability to be great.
Darren
Darren
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Burridge_Cwood Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:20 pm

He's a great kid, but not only that he is down to Earth with it, and you dont get that much
He is a great talent
Best of luck in the future Calumpa!! Wink

Burridge_Cwood

Back to top Go down

Post  peterpiper Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:12 pm

He has had 1 fight and he won so what!
just cause we think he will be the next big thing you cant base it on 1 fight!!
What if he loses then whats he gonna do what will we all say then?

peterpiper

Back to top Go down

Post  Darren Sun May 17, 2009 1:33 am

by peterpiper on Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:12 pm

He has had 1 fight and he won so what!
just cause we think he will be the next big thing you cant base it on 1 fight!!
What if he loses then whats he gonna do what will we all say then?[quote]

He has lost now so what do you think??
Is it all over for him?
Is it because he is not good enough to be the best?
or
Is it a blip ?
Will he learn from this and come back better?
What do you think??? Question Idea
Darren
Darren
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  swindonboy Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:42 pm

Calum or "Calumpa" is a really nice dude, i think people who just see these posters judge him as being an as*****,
i think you should go down to the gym meet him, hes so freindly.
i think hes got the talent to go all the way.
and ID like everyone who agrees with me to step forward to prove to the people that are judging him by the posters and the talk so its not just one mans opinion.

swindonboy
Fly weight
Fly weight

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerupercut Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:01 pm

I've been asked to go down the boxing academy and sparr with callum a few times now and every time i've met him he's been polite and friendly and respectfull. He clearly trains hard and is doing well for himself. Whether he has the ability to go all the way is upto him. If he continues to train hard and stay focused and not believe the hype that may surround him at such an early stage then he'll do well. In regards to his talent he's good, not brilliant and still has a lot to learn, but he has years ahead of him to do that. Going into the novices next season will be a good judge of his skill (If the novices happen that is) however i have a few reservations regarding his style. He doesn't box like your average amateur and has more of a pro style and personally i can see that being his down fall in the amateurs and he may not do as well as he hopes because of that. The amateurs are all about getting the experince before turning pro and i'm sure by the time he turns pro he'll do well. Only time will tell. All the best callum and i'm sure we'll touch gloves again in the near future.
tigerupercut
tigerupercut
welter weight
welter weight

Back to top Go down

Post  jamaican_gurl Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:37 am

very good post tigerupercut so how many times have you sparred with him ? how does it go ?
pro style eh ? i would like to see that, theres no amatuers in the amatuers that dont fight like amatuers if you get me ?

jamaican_gurl
Fly weight
Fly weight

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerupercut Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:50 pm

I've sparred with callum 2 or 3 times. 4 rounds each time i've popped in at Paddy's request. Yes he has more of a pro style than amatuer style and i'd say thats the influence of paddy being a pro coach. He'll have to make a few adjustments for the amateurs but he has plenty of time to work on that and i'm sure he'll do it with hard work.
tigerupercut
tigerupercut
welter weight
welter weight

Back to top Go down

Post  fighter Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:03 pm

do you think thats why he lost his last fight against no.2 in the country ?

fighter

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerupercut Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:31 pm

Haven't seen the fight so i cant comment on that. I just think it might be something which may cause him to get robbed a possible decision in some future fights.
tigerupercut
tigerupercut
welter weight
welter weight

Back to top Go down

Post  marrkyboy Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:44 pm

but if he can fight then he can fight, simple as that.

marrkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Darren Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:56 pm

Calum can adjust to the amatures he has had two fights against the top lads in the country and won one and lost one i dont think the loss had anything to do with his style but as i mentioned in another post if he had boxed in a more amature style he may have racked up enough points to win the fight but thats life you cant live on ifs buts and maybes all you can do is asses the situation at the time and to be honest in the fight he lost he did not find his distance and fell into his shots rather than working at the correct distance so his own performance wasnt his best for his ownstyle let alone any others.So time will tell if we need to change things then we will Wink
Darren
Darren
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  coolkid Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:15 pm

totally true, and if he was the next big thing then wouldnt he have done exactly that?
think about that guys.

coolkid
Fly weight
Fly weight

Back to top Go down

Post  Darren Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:18 pm

coolkid wrote:totally true, and if he was the next big thing then wouldnt he have done exactly that?
think about that guys.

Not sure what you are saying could you explain ???
Darren
Darren
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerupercut Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:04 pm

Darren wrote:
coolkid wrote:totally true, and if he was the next big thing then wouldnt he have done exactly that?
think about that guys.

Not sure what you are saying could you explain ???
Totally lost me on that one coolkid.
tigerupercut
tigerupercut
welter weight
welter weight

Back to top Go down

Post  footymad Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:44 am

"tigerupercut"
your the only one on here that has actully bin in the ring with calumpa - well so you say,
so what is it like, does he hit hard? is he fast?
tell us more
ive never seen him fight so i cant post!

footymad

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerupercut Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:32 pm

footymad wrote:"tigerupercut"
your the only one on here that has actully bin in the ring with calumpa - well so you say,
so what is it like, does he hit hard? is he fast?
tell us more
ive never seen him fight so i cant post!
your the only one on here that has actully bin in the ring with calumpa - well so you say. I'm not lieing and as Callum comes on here himself he can back up this fact. Yes i have sparred him on a few occasions over a 4 round duration. I've previously commented on his style on other posts where i've mentioned his style is more pro than amatuer and that may cause him a few issues when he comes to competing in the amatuer chamoionships and being outworked over a 3 round duration. In answer to your questions - Does he hit hard - Personally i don't think so, however he's still young and developing his strength and i'm positive his power will get better. Is he fast - His hand speed isn't that fast (Which is why i think he may get outworked in the am's) however his timing is good and so is his footwork. This enables him to get in and out of range well and close down his oponant. If his speed and power improve over time then adding to his good footwork and timing he'll start causing fighters alot of problems. Physically for his age he's strong as well.
tigerupercut
tigerupercut
welter weight
welter weight

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerupercut Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:35 pm

I'm not going into the finer details of things i've noticed in his game. Need to keep these cards close to my chest incase we sparr again. Surprised)
tigerupercut
tigerupercut
welter weight
welter weight

Back to top Go down

Post  coolkid Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:31 am

to clarify, what i ment was , well if he was what people are deeming him as "the next big thing" surely he would have boxed a better fight and quickly ajusted to what was happening in the ring ?

coolkid
Fly weight
Fly weight

Back to top Go down

Post  dannybox Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:34 am

yeah but how can you get something right and improve unless you get it wrong in the firstplace ?
c,mon give the dude a break
he would have won if it wasnt for his stupid mouthguard.

dannybox
Fly weight
Fly weight

Back to top Go down

Post  Darren Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:13 am

coolkid wrote:to clarify, what i ment was , well if he was what people are deeming him as "the next big thing" surely he would have boxed a better fight and quickly ajusted to what was happening in the ring ?

Name me three world class fighters that have gone there whole career from amature to pro without loss Question Rolling Eyes

by dannybox on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:34 am

yeah but how can you get something right and improve unless you get it wrong in the firstplace ?
c,mon give the dude a break
he would have won if it wasnt for his stupid mouthguard.

Well said dannybox Wink
Darren
Darren
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Darren Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:25 am

tigerupercut wrote:I'm not going into the finer details of things i've noticed in his game. Need to keep these cards close to my chest incase we sparr again. Surprised)

tigerupercut you are always welcome to come down anytime you like for sparring with the amatures in the gym its great for them to move around with others that have expirence and for us to be able to gauge there standard.
We are currently waiting for the abae to approve us as a amature club so we will be looking to put on shows at the gym soon and it would be great if we can get your club matches on them. Wink
Darren
Darren
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum