The Boxing Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Benefits of Stretching

2 posters

Go down

Benefits of Stretching Empty Benefits of Stretching

Post  Guvnor Sun May 24, 2009 5:53 pm

Ok guys this can be a drag, but again doing a good stretch before exercise, and more importantly after can seriously reduce the risk injury. And give you the added benefits of good flexbility, which is fantastic for a boxer, as it helps you stay loose and relaxed, improves your lateral movement.
Stertching can also help in :
an increase in flexibility and joint range of motion
correct exercise posture
relaxed muscles
better sports coordination
Stretching has to be done right to have benefits, though. Here are some tips on stretching properly:

Stop if it hurts. Stretching should never hurt. If you have reached a point in your stretch where it hurts, relax to where it feels comfortable and hold the stretch.

Maintain each stretch for 10–30 seconds. Holding a stretch for any less won't sufficiently lengthen the muscle. Stretch the muscles gradually and don't force it. Avoid bobbing. Bobbing or bouncing while stretching may damage the muscle you are stretching. This damage may even cause scar tissue to form. Scar tissue tightens muscles and can get in the way of flexibility.

Remember people to breathe. Breathing is a necessary part of any workout, including stretching. like I keep saying if you hold your breath while doing a stretch it can raise your blood pressure.

for extra help with this let me know, and I will spend a some time helping you whilst Im down the gym, which is every thursday 6:15 onwards
Guvnor
Guvnor

Back to top Go down

Benefits of Stretching Empty Re: Benefits of Stretching

Post  boxer Thu May 28, 2009 1:25 am

I was told that you should not stretch before you start working out as you can do more damage than good?

What do i do?
should i stretch at the start of my session and then again at the end?
or
should i warm up first then stretch and then again at the end?
boxer
boxer
Fly weight
Fly weight

Back to top Go down

Benefits of Stretching Empty stretching before exercise?

Post  Guvnor Thu May 28, 2009 1:58 am

it used to be the case that stretching was always done before activty, but yes like you said anything too intense can risk further injury, which is why the stretching should be used with a warm up, somthing light, with less intense stretching.
When you stretch after the activty research shows this is more important, as the muscles are already warm and increase the flexibilty easier. It is important to cool down after your activity
So it should help you stop feeling stiff the next day.
For more info on warm up watch this space.
Guvnor
Guvnor

Back to top Go down

Benefits of Stretching Empty Re: Benefits of Stretching

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down