The Boxing Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest news article from swindon advertiser

Go down

Latest news article from swindon advertiser Empty Latest news article from swindon advertiser

Post  Darren Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:28 pm

JAMIE Cox has urged promoter Frank Warren to let him stand in for injured British Welterweight Champion Kell Brook at his next fight.

Brook was due to defend his title for a third time against Young Mutley in Wolverhampton on April 24 but has been forced to pull out of the fight because of a hand injury.

Cox, pictured, is due to fight on the same bill against Mark Lloyd in an eliminator for the English title, but the Swindon boxer believes Brook’s injury could hand him an unexpected chance to prove his credentials.

“I would love to stand in for Kell Brook and fight Young Mutley,” admitted Cox.

“I obviously have to speak to Frank Warren about it and I don’t know what he will think about it but it is a fight that I want.

“If Kell is injured then I don’t see any reason why I can’t stand in for him. I would love the fight to happen, I am ready for it.

“I am not trying to be flash here, I just feel ready, I don’t need to be wrapped in cotton wool any more.

“Young Mutley is one of the top British boxers so it would defintely be a step up, but without a doubt it is a fight that I want to be made and then if I beat Mutley surely I deserve a crack at Kell Brook?”

Cox is unlikely to get his crack at Mutley granted immediately with his promoter currently on business in America. And in the meantime Cox says he will continue to prepare for his scheduled clash with Lloyd.

“I’ll put my idea to Frank Warren and we’ll see how it goes but in the meantime I’m down to fight Mark Lloyd in an English title eliminator so I’ll prepare for that,” added Cox.

“Frank is in America right now so I don’t know when I will be able to talk to him about the possibility of the Mutley fight but I know I am capable of beating him. Either fight though would be another step up in class for me.”

Cox’s trainer Paddy Fitzpatrick believes the fight should be made and is confident his young protege is more than ready for such a test.

“I don’t see what the other guys at welterweight in this country can have that Jamie isn’t ready for already,” claimed Fitzpatrick.

“I see an opportunity here. I am not trying to slight Frank Warren’s work, far from it, I just see an opportunity.

“Jamie is ready to become a champion now - it doesn’t matter how strong or weak the division is.

“Speaking as a coach, we see a chance here to get a great fight on because Jamie is ready and you have to think Mutley will be in great condition bearing in mind he was preparing for a British title fight.

“Kell Brook has had to pull out and Jamie is ideal to step up and stand in for him.”

And if the fight is made and Cox beats Mutley, his coach believes a clash with champion Brook should follow: “When Jamie beats Mutley he should fight Kell Brook. Maybe it is a bit sooner than Frank Warren wanted but let’s see what happens.

“I wouldn’t be talking about Kell Brook if I didn’t think Jamie could beat him and the nine guys beneath him - but he can, he’s ready.

“Don’t get me wrong, Kell Brook is a very good fighter but Jamie is better, and although Kell Brook has power he is wide open like Prince Naseem was - he has a ‘If I don’t kill you I’ll get killed’ kind of attitude.”
Darren
Darren
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down