The Boxing Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Injury could force Harding retirement Swindon adver article.

2 posters

Go down

Injury could force Harding retirement Swindon adver article. Empty Injury could force Harding retirement Swindon adver article.

Post  Darren Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:33 pm

VETERAN heavyweight Ben Harding fears he may never box again after sustaining an horrific injury in competition on Friday 20 March.

The 37-year-old fell awkwardly in his fight against up-and-coming brawler Tom Dallas at Newham Leisure Centre in London, causing a triple fracture in his ankle and leg.

He had five pins inserted in the injury at Great Western Hospital on Wednesday and now faces two more operations in the coming weeks.

Harding, who trains at Paddy Fitzpatrick’s Boxing Academy gym in Maxwell Street, is not hopeful about the possibility of a comeback.

“From what I’ve been told by the experts, it doesn’t look likely,” said Harding, pictured right.

“We’ll just see how it goes, I could be back on my foot in six months but then I could be out for two years. I’m not making rash decisions, but it will take a lot of effort and I’ve got other things in my life, you’ve got to decide what the most important thing is.”

For the moment Harding is focusing on his marriage to fiance Stephanie, who he is due to wed in Las Vegas in July.

He had been due to fight at Keith Mayo’s Long Good Friday event in Cheltenham on April 10.
Darren
Darren
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Injury could force Harding retirement Swindon adver article. Empty BEN HARDING ?

Post  SlipTheJob Fri May 22, 2009 1:42 pm

What will the academy do now if Ben cant fight anymore. Do they have any other heavyweights ???

Paddy looks like he has the knowledge and history to build himself a modern day Tyson if he wanted to. Why doesnt he find a decent 6ft middleweight/cruiserweight with speed and bring them up the the 16 / 17 stone mark.

Before building Tyson, Cus damato said the ultimate heavyweight would be with the speed of a middleweight and just 6ft for ferocious body shots, and a thick neck to absorb punches.

Its a damn shame if Bens career is over cos he has a few good years left in him yet. Heavyweights can go on a lot longer than other weights, Holyfield is still fightin at 45 and in his prime on top.

The Heavy-weight division is wide open right now and has been for the past few years. It wouldnt take much to take out the Klitchkos.

SlipTheJob

Back to top Go down